10 Ways To Make Money Online In Your Spare Time
Prices for gas, food, utilities and rent are continuing to rise and for a lot of people, it is becoming too much. The main source of income just isn’t cutting it.
Luckily, there is this thing called a side hustle. Maybe you’ve heard of these extracurricular ways of supplementing your main source of income. You may have even looked into some of them. If not, then I’m here to help out with a list of 10 ways to make money online in your spare time.
Start A Blog
Create An Online Course
Sell Your Personal Belongings
Become A Virtual Assistant
Teach Or Translate Languages
Become A Social Media Manager
Start A YouTube Channel
Become An Online Mystery Shopper
1. Start A Blog
Starting a blog is more of a long term “hustle” and can even become your main source of income, depending on how much time you have available to put into it. If you have limited time or little know how you may need some help.
Here are some of the steps on how to create a blogsite:
• Choose your niche – Your niche is based on something that you are passionate about or something that you have a level of expertise. This will be the topics that you will be writing about.
• Choose a blogging platform – There are many blogging platforms to choose from, such as WordPress and Blogger. Each platform has its own strengths and specific uses, so it’s important to choose one that’s right for your niche.
• Choose a domain name – Your domain name is the address of your blog on the internet. It’s important to choose a domain name that’s easy to remember and relevant to your blog’s content. Its best if the name is easy to say. Easy to say equals easy to share.
• Choose a hosting provider – Your hosting provider is the company that secures and maintains your blog site and makes your content available to visitors. Different hosting providers offer different services, so it’s important to choose one that will best fit your needs, is reliable and within your budget.
• Design your blog – Once you have a hosting provider, you can start designing your actual website. This includes choosing a relevant theme and configuring the layout for adding your content. Always remember to keep user experience and other SEO metrics in mind to help with organic traffic.
• Do some keywords research – Keywords are the exact words that people use in their search queries so its important to use them in your title subheadings and content body. Well researched and placed keywords will affect your content’s placement in SERPs (Search Engine Results Page) ranking.
• Research your blog topic – Gather up facts and other information including relevant images to create your blog articles.
• Write your first blog post – Now you’re all set to create your first amazing piece of content. Be genuine and make sure that your article gives some value to your reader. Solve a problem, guide to factual information or help out with a decision.
• Promote your blog – Once you have a few blog posts published, it’s time to start promoting your blog. This can be done through social media, email marketing, and guest blogging.
2. Freelance Services
Becoming a freelancer or offer freelance services can be a great way to make money online in your spare time. Business and professionals alike hire freelancers to do tasks like create a logo or write a blog article. And there are quite a few platforms available to list your “gig” or services.
• Upwork– here you can browse through millions of jobs or opportunities to list your expert services.
• Freelancer– join other freelancers in over 1800 skill sets
• Fiverr– one of the largest digital marketplaces where you can offer micro tasks for businesses that require expert freelance services.
• Guru– great if you have the time to wait for the exact fit. This is another platform that is on an expert level.
• PeoplePerHour– more opportunities for the entry level skill sets.
3. Create An Online Course
If you have expertise or a passion in a particular subject, you can create an online course. This is a great way to share your knowledge and make money online in you spare time.
• Choose the topic for your course. Your passion or expertise in a particular subject can be turned into your online course.
• Define your courses target audience. You can use the same processes that I explained earlier in the “create a blog” section of this post.
• Structure your course. A good online course will be informative, helpful and it should flow fluidly from step to step. You want to outline the different topics, lessons and lectures that your course will be covering.
• Create your course content. Follow your course structure by adding written and visual content. You should include live and recorded videos, graphics or animations. You should also list any tasks that your lessons will require.
• Make recordings of your lectures and written content. This helps to give your audience a “See what I’m saying?”, feel to your course content. It will also give you the opportunity to create a podcast and audio versions of your content to complement what is in your course.
• Promote your course. Just like a blog or any other content, you want to leverage the different social media platforms and forums. There are online universities like Udemy or freelance platforms that you can list your course as well.
4. Online Surveys
To start, let me tell you that there isn’t much of a chance that you will get rich answering surveys. That being said, the can be another way to make money online in your spare time.
Survey sites have been around for many years now and the rewards for participating can be cash or gift cards. Your best bet is to join and answer on a few of these sites because many will have a limit and some will contact you when a new survey is available.
Make sure to fully complete your profiles for more chances of being selected for those surveys that are on specific topics. Sometimes you will not be chosen for certain surveys but don’t worry as that does happen from time to time.
Below I have listed some of the more popular survey sites:
- • Swagbucks
- • Survey Junkie
- • InboxDollars
- • MyPoints
- • Opinion Outpost
- • LifePoints
- • i-Say
- • Toluna
- • Branded Surveys
- • Valued Opinions
Some of the surveys can be fun and others may even offer some learning opportunities. Again, remember that this is definitely not a get rich overnight process
5. Sell Your Personal Belongings
This isn’t exactly a “side hustle” but it is s certainly a way to make money online in your spare time. There are many online marketplaces where you can sell your personal belongings. I have listed some of the places where you can list your personal things for sale online.
Take good, clear photos that are well lit so that potential buyers can see what you have available for sale.
Give a detailed description of your items and be truthful about any defects or wear.
Take the time to check out similar items that others have listed so that you can price yours competitively.
If you need to ship any of your items, make sure to do so promptly and include shipping info.
Address any issues promptly and properly.
Below is a list of marketplaces where you can sell your personal items to make money online in your spare time.
• eBay – is one of the most well-known online marketplaces, and it’s a great place to sell just about anything. You can list your items for auction or set a fixed price. eBay charges a fee for each sale, but it’s usually a small percentage of the final sale price.
• Facebook Marketplace – is a free way to sell items to people in your local area. You can list your items for sale on Facebook Marketplace, and potential buyers can contact you directly through the platform.
• Craigslist – is another free option for selling items locally. You can create a classified ad on Craigslist, and potential buyers can contact you through the website.
• Poshmark – is a great option for selling clothes, shoes, and accessories. Poshmark takes a commission on each sale, but it’s a convenient way to sell items to people who are looking for specific brands or styles.
• Mercari – is another online marketplace that’s similar to Poshmark. Mercari takes a commission on each sale, but it’s a great option for selling items that are in good condition.
• Depop – is a popular online marketplace for selling vintage and secondhand clothing. Depop takes a commission on each sale, but it’s a great way to find unique pieces that you won’t find in stores.
• Etsy – is an online marketplace for handmade and vintage items. Etsy takes a commission on each sale, but it’s a great place to sell unique items that you’ve created yourself.
6. Become A Virtual Assistant
Virtual assistants provide administrative, technical, or creative assistance to clients from a remote location. This is a great option if you have strong organizational and communication skills. I have put together some steps to take to use becoming a virtual assistant to make money online in your spare time.
1. Identify your skills and interests- What are you good at? What do you enjoy doing? Once you know your strengths and passions, you can start to narrow down the types of virtual assistant work that would be a good fit for you.
2. Get trained and certified- There are many online courses and programs that can teach you the skills you need to be a successful virtual assistant. Some of these programs even offer certification, which can help you stand out from the competition.
3. Build a strong portfolio- Once you have the skills and training, it’s time to start building a portfolio of your work. This will show potential clients what you can do and help you land your first job.
4. Network and market yourself- Get involved in online and offline communities for virtual assistants. Attend industry events and connect with potential clients on social media. The more people you know, the more likely you are to find work.
5. Set your rates and negotiate contracts- As a virtual assistant, you are your own boss. This means you get to set your own rates and negotiate your own contracts. Be sure to do your research and set rates that are fair to both you and your clients.
6. Provide excellent customer service- One of the most important things you can do as a virtual assistant is provide excellent customer service. This means being responsive to your clients’ needs, going the extra mile, and always delivering high-quality work.
7. Stay up-to-date on trends- The world of virtual assistance is constantly changing. To stay ahead of the curve, it’s important to stay up-to-date on the latest trends and technologies. This will help you provide the best possible service to your clients.
Becoming a virtual assistant can be a great way to start your own business and work from home. By following these steps, you can increase your chances of success.
7. Teach or Translate Languages
If you’re a native English speaker, you can make money by teaching English online to students in other countries. This is a great way to use your skills to help others and make some extra money at the same time.
There are many platforms that can be used to advertise language translation services. Some of the most popular platforms include:
• Google Ads– Google Ads is a pay-per-click (PPC) advertising platform that allows businesses to create ads that appear on Google search results pages. Google Ads can be a very effective way to reach potential customers who are searching for translation services.
• LinkedIn– LinkedIn is a professional networking site that can be used to connect with potential customers who are interested in language translation services. LinkedIn allows businesses to create ads that appear in the news feeds of their target audience.
• Facebook– Facebook is a social media platform that can be used to reach a large audience with language translation services. Facebook allows businesses to create ads that appear in the news feeds of their target audience.
• Twitter– Twitter is a micro blogging platform that can be used to reach a large audience with language translation services. Twitter allows businesses to create tweets that are seen by their followers and other users who are interested in the topic of translation.
• Instagram– Instagram is a photo-sharing platform that can be used to reach a large audience with language translation services. Instagram allows businesses to create posts that are seen by their followers and other users who are interested in the topic of translation.
In addition to these platforms, there are many other online and offline channels that can be used to advertise language translation services. The best platform for your business will depend on your target audience and your budget.
There are some good practices to use while advertising your language translation services:
– Use clear and concise language: When advertising your language translation services, it is important to use clear and concise language that is easy to understand. Potential customers should be able to quickly understand what you offer and how you can help them.
– Highlight your unique selling points: What makes your language translation services different from the competition? Highlight your unique selling points in your advertising so that potential customers can see what you have to offer.
– Offer a free trial or consultation: Offering a free trial or consultation is a great way to get potential customers interested in your language translation services. This allows them to try your services before they commit to anything, and it can help you close more deals.
– Track your results: It is important to track the results of your advertising campaigns so that you can see what is working and what is not. This information can be used to improve your future campaigns and get better results.
8. Become A Social Media Manager
Social media managers create and manage content for businesses on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Realistically speaking, you will need to already have the experience necessary. If that is the case, then this is a great option.
Becoming a social media manager is a great way to combine your love of social media with your career goals. Social media managers are responsible for developing and executing social media strategies for businesses and organizations. They create and manage social media content, track and analyze social media performance, and measure the ROI of social media campaigns.
To become a social media manager as a beginner, you will need to have a strong understanding of social media platforms, marketing, and analytics. You will also need to be creative, have excellent communication skills, and be able to work independently and as part of a team.
Here are some steps you can take to become a social media manager and make money online in your spare time:
1. Get a degree in marketing, communications, or a related field. While not all social media manager positions require a degree, many employers prefer candidates who have a formal education in marketing or communications. A degree will give you the foundation you need to understand the principles of marketing and how to use social media to achieve marketing goals.
2. Gain experience in social media marketing. The best way to gain experience in social media marketing is to get an internship or entry-level job in the field. This will give you the opportunity to work on real-world social media campaigns and learn from experienced social media professionals.
3. Build your portfolio. As you gain experience in social media marketing, be sure to build a portfolio of your work. This portfolio will showcase your skills and experience to potential employers.
4. Network with other social media professionals. Attend social media conferences, join online communities, and connect with other social media professionals on LinkedIn. Networking can help you learn more about the field, get advice from experienced professionals, and find job opportunities.
5. Stay up-to-date on the latest social media trends. The social media landscape is constantly changing, so it’s important to stay up-to-date on the latest trends. Read industry blogs, attend social media conferences, and follow social media experts on Twitter.
Becoming a social media manager can be a great way to combine your love of social media with your career goals. By following these steps, you can increase your chances of landing a job in this exciting field.
9. Start A YouTube Channel
If you’re creative and enjoy sharing your videos with others, you can start a YouTube channel and make money through advertising. You can also include any affiliate links for products that you promote, in the video description. This is a great way to build a following and make some extra cash. Combined with a blog and an affiliate marketing campaign, this is will put you well on your way towards making money online in your spare time.
Below i have listed steps to get you started with your YouTube channel:
1. Choose a niche- As with other content based businesses, you need to start with your niche. What are you passionate about? What do you know a lot about? What can you teach others? Once you know your niche, you can start brainstorming video ideas.
2. Creating a channel- Go to YouTube and click on the “Create a Channel” button. You’ll be asked to choose a channel name, profile picture, and banner. Follow the prompts to set everything up quickly. I suggest adding some tools or all to help with editing or creating a thumbnail. Tools such as Vidiq and Canva are great solutions.
3. Customize your channel- Once you’ve created your channel, you can customize it by adding a trailer, sections, and playlists. Make it your own by including the profile picture or logo that you use with your other social media accounts.
4. Start creating videos- This is where the fun begins! Start filming videos about your niche and sharing them on your channel. Or you can download common use videos and upload them with relevant content such as a tutorial or “best of” list.
5. Promote your channel- Once you’ve created some videos, you need to promote your channel so that people can find it. Share your videos on social media, and reach out to other YouTubers in your niche. Utilize keywords in your titles and use eye-catching thumbnails that you can create using Canva.
6. Be patient and persistent- It takes time to build an audience on YouTube. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t see results overnight. Just keep creating great content and promoting your channel, and eventually you’ll start to see growth.
Key tips for starting a successful YouTube channel:
• Remember to create high quality videos. This is the most important factor in growing your channel. Make sure your videos are well-lit, well-edited, and engaging.
• Be consistent by uploading new videos on a regular schedule so that your viewers know when to expect new content. Go live to engage with your viewers in real time.
• Interact with your viewers. Respond to comments and questions, and participate in discussions on social media.
• Have fun! If you’re not enjoying yourself, it will show in your videos. So relax, be yourself, and let your personality shine through.
10. Become An Online Mystery Shopper
Mystery shoppers visit businesses and report back on their experiences. This is a great way to get paid to shop, and it can also be a lot of fun.
There are many companies that hire online mystery shoppers. Here are a few of the most popular:
To apply to be an online mystery shopper, you will need to create a profile on the company’s website. You will then be asked to complete a short application form. Once your application is approved, you will be able to start accepting assignments.
The requirements to become an online mystery shopper vary from company to company. However, most companies require that you be at least 18 years old, have a valid email address, and have access to the internet. Some companies may also require that you have a driver’s license and a smartphone.
The pay for online mystery shoppers varies depending on the company and the assignment. However, you can typically expect to earn between $5 and $20 per assignment.
Becoming an online mystery shopper is a great way to earn some extra money and help businesses improve their customer service. If you are interested in becoming an online mystery shopper, I encourage you to check out the companies listed.
* Be honest and accurate in your reports.
* Provide detailed feedback on your experiences.
* Be prompt in completing your assignments.
* Build a good reputation with the companies you work for.
Becoming an online mystery shopper can be a great way to make money online in your spare and get free stuff. Just be sure to do your research, find a reputable company, and complete the assignments accurately and professionally.
If you want a side hustle that you are going be able to stick with, then make sure to choose a niche that you are good at or truly passionate about.
Manage your expectations. Realize that you can’t expect things to happen overnight. Start small and gradually increase your incomeand experience. Then you can scale up if that is what you end up deciding to do.
Be patient and consistent, it takes time and effort to build up a successful side hustle. Don’t get discouraged by the slow roll at the beginning.
As long as you are prepared to put in the work and always be learning, you can make money online in your spare time
Some of these hustles are definitely more in the “side” category but there are some listed above that can be cultivated into a lucrative, sustainable income.
I hope that my above list gives you a helping hand deciding which one would be right for you and thanks for listening!
If you have any questions or if you want to add any of your own suggestions then please feel free to do so in the comments section below.
Thanks again for visiting!!